Styrofoam has multiple uses in households, from insulation to creating water barriers and in arts & crafts. It has high moisture resistance, which makes it an excellent insulator. This is also the reason why it is preferred over other plastic options. Its compressive strength makes it particularly resistant to water, ensuring that there are leakages or temperature drops.
Since it has so many unique properties, this particular polystyrene or, Blue Board as it is sometimes called, needs a particular type of adhesive to stay in place. If you try using regular adhesives, they may not work, or they may come off after a few days. For a strong bond that lasts long, you need to find the best glue for Styrofoam.
We understand that this can be confusing for you, which is why we have listed out the top rated adhesives for Styrofoam in 2020. Read on to explore them.
Best Glue for Styrofoam
1. Gorilla Original Glue
When it comes to adhesives, Gorilla is a clear winner because it has all the properties you are looking for. It is incredibly strong and lives up to its tagline of being able to “bond virtually everything.” That’s why it is Amazon’s Choice too! If that’s not reason enough for you to buy it, please go through its features below:
- It is a white and multi-purpose glue that you can use not just for Styrofoam but also for metal, wood, ceramic, glass, and stone.
- It expands into the material – up to 3x – and holds them in place wonderfully.
- Since it is 100% waterproof, you can use it outdoors as well. Outdoor elements also do not deter the bond it creates.
- Application of the glue is a simple 3-step process. Just damp it, glue it, and clamp it!
- It takes around 20 minutes to dry completely.
2. Dow Foam Glue for Styrofoam
The Dow glue has been formulated specifically for insulating foam. It has outstanding adhesive properties for building materials. Here are a few more details:
- It expands once it cures, but the makers have ensured minimal expansion.
- It dispenses in all directions to spread evenly.
- Once you apply it, you can paint it or stain it. You can even sand it down!
- It fills the gaps and cracks by spreading into them and bonds them easily.
- It is a clear glue that takes around 15 minutes to work its magic.
- The only thing we don’t like about this product is that it can be a little too runny, making it slightly harder to apply than the others.
3. UHU POR Adhesive for Styrofoam
Here’s another Amazon’s Choice product for you! The UHU POR Adhesive is a transparent glue that works amazingly well on Styrofoam. But, why should you consider it over the rest? The reasons are as follows:
- It is an elastic and waterproof adhesive.
- It expands into the Styrofoam to keep the bond intact.
- You can also use it on other materials such as wood, cardboard, paper, plastic, metal, and glass. It can also glue all these materials to Styrofoam itself. In other words, it is your one-stop solution for all adhesive needs.
- It also glues Styrofoam to Styrofoam.
- The glue takes around 10-20 minutes to dry, after which you should press the materials together in place.
4. Aleene’s Original Adhesive
If you are looking for a Styrofoam adhesive for craft purposes, we highly recommend Aleene’s. It is the original tacky glue that holds items immediately and creates a permanent bond. Here are a few more details:
- It is an all-purpose adhesive recommended mainly for crafts. You can also use it for multiple DIY projects and hobbies.
- It is non-toxic and has a very mild odor. It is perfectly safe.
- Even though it is white, it dries clear and stays clear even after a long time. This is an excellent quality because we have often noted that glue runs yellow after a while.
- In case you make a mistake or apply it in the wrong place, be sure to wipe it away with soap and water immediately. It cleans easily before it dries. After drying, it may be impossible to get rid of it.
- It sticks to wood, paper, and felt as well.
5. Great Planes Foam Glue for Styrofoam
The Great Planes Pro Glue is a thin adhesive that’s safe to use on foam. The cyanoacrylate adhesive forms a strong, permanent bond within minutes. We have enlisted the features we love below:
- It is odorless and non-toxic.
- It is non-fuming.
- It comes in easy-to-squeeze bottles to make the application process very easy.
- It has a long applicator to help you apply even in thin cracks and tight spots.
- Once you apply the glue, we advise you to hold it for a few minutes to secure the bond. If you are gluing two materials together, you should hold them tight and apply the glue in between.
- Remember that it glues other materials to foam, but it doesn’t work great in gluing foam to foam. Hence, it is ideal for crafts but not many other purposes.
We hope this list helps you pick the best glue for Styrofoam according to your need. While choosing, please note that any glue that contains plastic solvents is the wrong kind of glue for this purpose. Whether you choose from this list or buy through recommendations, remember to always buy a product that specifies the materials it works on. It is not worth your time to guess, try, and go through the entire process again.
Which of these products are you going to buy, and why? We would love to know your thoughts!